WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

What It Takes to Be a Programmer



A lot of people see programming as a very mathematical and logic-oriented field, and while this is true, there is a whole other aspect to it. To be a programmer, you need creativity and ideas. I think it's more important to have perseverance and strong ideas than be good at math or logic.

This year I really started getting into learning actual programming. Previously, I had only been interested in HTML and CSS, which are markup languages. Basically, you code how things look. It does not actually do much of anything. There is no logic or processing. This year, with my computer science course, I've learned Python and am starting to learn Java. There is a huge difference between a markup language and a programming language. Programming languages allow for user input to solve a problem. Solving problems is what programmers do.

When I started learning Python, I loved the problem solving aspect the most. You have to think of creative ways to get around problems with your code. Not every problem has the same solution, and there are multiple ways to get around the same problem. Code is personalized, not robotic.

I started programming a simple Android app earlier this year and had many problems along the way. I wanted something that could be useful in everyday life. When I began, I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know Java. I didn't know XML. But the ability to learn and Google my problems let me get through making most of my app. Eventually though, I got to a problem that I just couldn't solve. That's when I realized I needed more knowledge of Java. So while I'm currently learning Java, I'm beginning to understand more and more about the language and about programming as a whole. In the end, it's for the user. And I think a good programmer should know that to create a good program, it has to have the user in mind. I think this is why certain software (Linux) doesn't reach mainstream success. It is not focused on the end-user. Design, creativity, and problem solving are the main aspects of a good programmer in my opinion.

I hate math class, and I feel like programming is wrongly equated to mathematics. You do have to have some math knowledge, but the amount of math you use compared to problem solving and creativity is minute. Think of all of the experiences you have had with technology. All of those experiences were made possible by programmers. Your Twitter, YouTube, Facebook. It takes one great idea and perseverance to become a successful programmer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment